Monday, August 9, 2010

Tracking Training Efforts (link added)

So, I have tried a million-and-one ways to track my training efforts, and this one seems to work best for me.

If you're interested, please see my Training Log here!  Here I record the distances in each discipline, plus 'extras' like Balance or Circuit, when I feel I got enough of a workout in, and the total number of sessions I have done each week and cumulative totals.  Occasionally I add notes or comments, and upcoming events are highlighted.

It's always sad to see those days with big blank stares and no numbers in them, but mostly I am pleased with myself!

In 10 weeks, I have done:

Bike: 397km
Run: 116km
Horse: 51km (many of these just got marked with '1' to represent a session or an hour, as it was arena time or unknown distance...)
Paddled: 20km

All in 88 sessions.

I find the Time Records for my runs are very enlightening, and help me see how I am doing.

I have also created my own personal diary/daytimer. The generic one I had wasn't working for me, so I created one, which I simply photocopied, folded in half and bundled up enough pages to get me through one month. Having a month at hand is great, and having all the stuff I need to know at a glance is great for me! It includes 30 minute appointment schedule from 6am to 10pm, priority tasks, expenses, nutrition tracking, D-Day counter, discipline plan, a 'remember' section for birthdays, etc, and notes.

I also add my "thought words" to the top of each page. Each day has a different word, for example, today is "guide" and I like to try to ponder these words and see if I might find inspiration or support or insight through thinking on these words. Sounds weird, probably?

I'm pretty pleased with it, because it is so specific to my needs.

I suppose I won't need anything quite like these tools when I am done with the Blackwood. I plan to be training quite differently starting in November, focusing on two things:

  1. Being a great horse rider
  2. Being a great fitness instructor and personal trainer
It's nice to have a focus for after all this, because I had been feeling ambivalent about what would come next.  Where do you go after accomplishing something so big?  And now I know, so I have something to look forward to after the big climax!

No comments:

Post a Comment