Saturday, May 22, 2010

Rainy Days and Good Habits

It's Saturday morning, I work this afternoon, and I was going to go for a 12km run this morning before work, however it is raining ... and not just a light misting rain, but a deep long soaking rain that we need so bad. I don't mind being locked in the house on this occasion. The earth needs rain more than I need a run! So, I've spent the morning doing dishes and other boring things, and have been reading blogs and books and magazines. It is a wonder how much information is out there, and how willing people are to share. What a wonderful treat to get to enjoy their experiences and learn with them and from them.

Another thing I did this morning, and a bit of yesterday too, was to write up a list of habits I'd like to form. Perhaps in the future I'll be able to come back and tick a few things off the list!

Nutrition
  • eat 2 fruit daily (I currently eat one consistently, and two occasionally, but usually need to think more about that second piece of fruit.)
  • eat 5 veg daily (I thought I was eating a lot more vegetables than I am. But doing a quick survey of my usual meals and it's evident that I am getting 2-3 on a regular basis only. That doesn't add up to adequate nutrition, especially with high workout demands.)
  • reduce portion sizes, particularly of sweet foods (I won't give up sweet things completely, that's daft!)
  • plan to eat treats, snacks or 'junk' only once a week
  • meal plan (working on it!) and
  • get meals prepared ahead of time, when I have time, so I'm not short of time and choose convenience foods or the good old peanut butter sandwich for dinner
  • have lunches and dinners prepared for work
  • organise and prepare foods for when travelling
  • reduce fat intake, which should be much easier when eliminating convenience foods (eaten at lunch at work and when travelling especially)
  • learn effective pre- and post- workout fuelling techniques for me
  • slow down when I eat! No need to choke it down! Geez!

Exercise
  • ride bike three times per week for total of 4 hours or minimum of 80km
  • run minimum of three times per week building to 24km in single run effort
  • ride horse minimum three times per week, preferably four
  • become more focused in arena work
  • build distances and time in endurance work up to 3 hours riding in next three months (August 2010)
  • spend more time building bond with TK, especially through grooming sessions. Plan to spend one session per week just grooming and massaging
  • row once per week for 1 to 2 hours
  • swim three times per week for up to one hour per session, once pool opens

Wellness
  • get a massage once per month
  • establish regular sleep and wake times, even on weekends
  • have more effective time management with household chores
  • nurture friendships by calling, emailing, and visiting with people just because they are nice to be around! Don't wait for a special occasions! And don't wait for them to always invite you! Invite them! This will probably be my biggest challenge, and will probably also be the most rewarding.
Anyway, that's all for now. I have a few other post ideas, but I think I'll make some Mexican chicken lasagna, since I have time while it rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment