Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'm Scared!

There's not long to go now.

13.5 weeks.
94 days.

And so much to do.  The numbers are getting bigger, the times longer, the challenge greater...

And I'm scared!  I'm starting to become overwhelmed by it all.  In a paralysing kinda way. 

The sheer magnitude of what I am undertaking is now staring me right down the barrels.  I can see VERY clearly the end goal. I can genuinely feel how much work this is going to be. And doubt is not just creeping in, but really snaking in, and wrapping itself around my chest, and squeezing.

Right now, when I think of the end goal, I can't see past the work in the way of accomplishing it, and although I know in a logical way that if I stick to my plan, and work the numbers and focus on my diet as I have been, that I can and will succeed at crossing the finish line.  The problem is that the heart doesn't give a damn about logic! 

I am at an impasse. I'm not sure how to unravel the fear and keep pushing forward. I mean, I am sure I will figure it out, but wow, what a terrible thing to be caught in these invisible clutches and unsure how to get out.

I suppose little-by-little, day-by-day, is really the answer.  Just making myself get out there and do it. One little hurdle at a time should build my confidence in my ability to complete the biggest hurdle of them all.  And knowing that I really only have to do 'the day' one event at a time. 

What would I tell a client in this situation?
  • Consistency is the key success.
  • Work in small steps to reach big goals.
  • Focus on the desired outcome (the exhilaration of completing!)
  • Work your plan.
  • Modify when you need to.
  • Rest and Reward yourself for your hard work.
  • And be nice to yourself: try to turn every negative thought into a positive thought!
So, here I go!  

What's that old adage?  Courage isn't the absence of fear, it's about feeling fear and doing it anyway.

Or, in the words of Nelson Mandela:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
Wish me luck, and all kinds of other good things! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment