Monday, July 12, 2010

Keeping Warm - 10km Run

Oh, the weather has been so disagreeable since Saturday! Well, since before Saturday, actually, but at least we had that one day of respite. At about 2 or 3am last night I woke up thinking the roof was going to get ripped off.  Luckily, it didn't, but it was blowing a gale and pouring with rain, and it didn't let up at all. And it's been COLD.  It's like the whole town has become a giant evaporative air conditioner, with the wind blowing over all that standing water.

The point?  I still exercised, when hibernating seemed like the wiser option.  And as always, I am so glad I did!

I decided to run on the treadmill for an hour.  5km and 30 minutes just felt like I was going too easy on myself too often. The Bunbury Fun Run isn't far away, and I'd like to do the 10km run in an hour.  And after the recovery I required following a two hour ride, I realised I was going to need to increase my stamina by a lot to complete the Blackwood and still be able to walk and talk through to the end of it.

So, I ran a total of 10km in 62:48, and that included a very long warm up (because it was coooolllddd! brr! and I needed the extra time to loosen up properly).  I ran a pretty good 5km/30minutes and then took a short walk break and then really stepped on the gas.  Even after 45 minutes, I ran at 12km/hr, and then up to 12.6km/hr for a whole minute, the fastest I have ever run (Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue did it for me!!) and ran at 11km/hr most of the time.

Woohoo!  Wicked awesome and excellent!

And it was so good that I got that workout in, because even though I taught Pump Circuit, I had three new people, so was teaching, not Pumping, and then we didn't get enough people to run a Balance class. Sad, but totally understandable.  It's hard to leave a warm house on a day, let alone a night, like this, and many people are sick.

The new best thing about exercise: It keeps you warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment